Why do I do this...

Why? To be better...

1. I promised (only a few people will know what this means, and if you don't, you will).
2. I am better than this.

Personal Bests

Santa Race November 25, 2012
5k 30:51 min/sec 6:11 pace per km

Boxing Day 10 Miler December 26, 2012
16.09 k 1:42:22 hr/min/sec 6:23 pace per km


Road 2 Hope Half Marathon November 4, 2012
21.1k 2:16:41 hr/min/sec 6:27 pace per km

Road 2 Hope Marathon November 5, 2011
5k 34:18 min/sec 6:52 pace per km



Around the Bay March 25, 2012
5k 32:07 min/sec 6:26 pace per km


Burlington Runners Good Friday 5k April 6, 2012
5k 31:22 min/sec 6:22 pace per km
(Garmin Race Time 5k 31:12 min/sec 6:14 pace per km)



Imperial Glass 4/8K Grey Cup Run November 26th, 2011
4K 26:55 min/sec 6:44 pace per km






Non Race Personal Bests

2.4km 13:19 min/sec 5:31 pace per km
July 17, 2012

5k 28:13 min/sec 5:40 pace per km
Nov 15, 2012

10k 1:02:25 hour/min/sec 6:15 pace Aug/29/2012

Challenge Start: July 18, 2011
Start Weight: 286 lbs
Current Weight: 208 lbs as at November 11, 2012
Total lost: 78 lbs
Goal Weight: 197
Last Cigarette: June, 2011

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Weekly Round Up--Ending January 22nd

Well what a week!! Some things accomplished and a feeling that a plan is beginning to develop towards real progress.

Traction Points this Week

  • got my 7 hours of exercise in
  • tracked all food and calories
  • lost 1lbs
  • drank 6-8 glasses of water almost everyday
  • went to a Cross Fit class (will talk more about this) Kettle Bells
  • set an orthotic appointment
  • 5 strengthening workouts completed
  • 6 elliptical workout's completed
  • completed 2 sets of ten push ups
  • completed 3 sets of ten sit ups (old school)
Traction Not Required or Wanted
  • 2000 calorie limit exceeded in 6 of the 7 days by as much as 380 calories and as little as 70 calories
  • sodium intake is too high
  • not running my 25 kms (rationalized but it was a weekly goal)
  • not taking my lunch to work (new realization)
As some fellow blogger friends have mentioned, resting is not giving up. This is true, but it is disheartening (feels a bit like a let down). Naturally I know I will never be a good runner but I was happy with my progess and was receiving a satisfaction from participation in it (I will continue). Then came a  CrossFit class which a friend from 20 years ago introduced me too.

When I was trying to model my  2012 goals it was developed in the hope of achieving fitness, and I tried to establish what that is. Finding a definition of fitness is difficult, and really it is subjective as standards really vary. For example years ago I was not fit by many standards but I can assure you I could physically out work most people and did on many occasions. For example, farmers are known for their strength and work ethic in my opinion, but does that mean they can run a sub six minute mile and do 40 push-ups in 60 seconds? Maybe, maybe not, but many are fit and many are not. Because of this I thought fitness standards that are used by the military, police, emergency personnel, and school boards of my day are the best benchmarks for me. And guess what, CrossFit caters to people who are trying to gain entrance into these programs. Here is their website for a better explanation of what it is. I did the Kettle Bell class. 


Time will only tell, but I have a feeling this can help my foot and in turn increase my fitness and then my ability to be a better runner.

Time will tell!


Tell me about your experience with CrossFit?

7 comments:

  1. To me, it sounds like you are doing great. I'm not a big "goal guy". I just have a philosophy to be committed to making the right choice everytime I'm faced with one, i.e. getting up on time to work out, going to work out, eating the right kind of food, i.e. not eating the wrong kind, etc. We are faced with choices all the livelongday and I live my wellness program one choice to the next. I find that I make the right choice the vast majority of the time and then don't have disappointment from goals that aren't met.

    Don't know...just my philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle - I love this idea and it's kind of my philosophy too. To do the best I can each day.

      Delete
    2. Thank-you Kyle. I like your philosophy!! Wish it that was something I could do! I need to chase my tail to feel like I am getting there!

      Delete
  2. I have a friend that works for cross fit, good luck. Those workouts look very challenging to say the least. Great goals! They look pretty realistic and attainable. Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Todd!! Maybe they will toughen me up!

      Delete
  3. You're still miles ahead of where you were six months ago!

    Once I get this health issue sorted, I'd love to take a class with you :)

    ReplyDelete